The goal of the Migrant Education Program is to ensure that all migrant students reach challenging academic standards and graduate with a high school diploma (or complete a GED) that prepares them for responsible citizenship, further learning, and productive employment.
1. The child is younger than 22 and has not graduated from high school or does not hold a high school equivalency certificate (this means that the child is entitle d to a free public education or is of an age below compulsory school attendance); and
2. The child is a migrant agricultural worker or a migrant fisher or has a parent, spouse, or guardian who is a migrant agricultural worker or a migrant fisher; and
3. The child has moved within the preceding 36 months in order to obtain (or seek) or to accompany (or join) a parent, spouse, or guardian to obtain (or seek), temporary or seasonal employment in qualifying agricultural or fishing work; and
4. Such employment is a principal means of livelihood; and
5. The child:
1. Has moved from one school district to another; or
2. In a State that is comprised of a single school district, has moved from one administrative area to another within such district; or
3. Resides in a school district of more than 15,000 square miles and migrates a distance of 20 miles or more to a temporary residence to engage in a fishing activity. (This provision currently applies only to Alaska).
|Kari Hinker|| P: 605-353-6992
105 5th Street SW
Huron SD 57350-0949
1045 18th SW
Huron, SD 57350
201 E. 38th St
Sioux Falls, SD 57105-5898
200 NE 9th St
Watertown SD 57201
National Migrant Hotline
If you and your family move from one school district to another to work in farming or agriculture, your child might be eligible for the migrant education program. To find out if your child is eligible, or to contact the local migrant education program for services, call from any place in the country.
When you call, be prepared to give the following information:
|Certificate of Eligibility||Comprehensive Needs Assessment Summary Report|
|Service Delivery Plan||Recruitment Manual|
|ESEA Migrant Student Guidance||Letter of Intent to Apply for Migrant Program Funds|