Who are they?
• ELs come from nearly every continent, and represent dozens if not hundreds of countries, including the United States.
• They speak hundreds of languages, dialects and tongues.
• Are likely to be native born rather than to be immigrants or refugees.
• They come from every socioeconomic class within American Society.
• They may or may not have been receiving a formal education in their home country.
• ELs may know some English, or may not.
• ELs enroll throughout the school year and may begin at any proficiency level.
• ELs are not “less smart” than English-speaking students.
• ELs may qualify for multiple services offered by a school district.
Top 5 languages in South Dakota
Currently there are 84 languages reported by school districts in South Dakota.
The top 5 languages:
• Karen Languages
• Siouan Languages
There are roughly 5,000 ELs in the state of South Dakota and the prediction is there will be a 20% increase in the next five years.