The South Dakota Department of Education provides a great deal of data on our website. Please see the Data Center for links to a number of resources already available. When more detailed data is needed, a data request form must be completed.
When completing the Data Request form, you must be very specific so that we can provide you with the data you are requesting. Please note that all cells with less than 10 students will be suppressed to protect the student’s privacy.
Pursuant to SDCL Chapter 1-27, if there are costs involved in the fulfillment of your data request, the Department of Education will provide you with a time/cost estimate prior to moving forward with the data request.
Those individuals seeking data for research purposes must meet the following criteria:
1. The research aligns with the South Dakota Department of Education’s goals and objectives and approval of the research is obtained by the Secretary of the Department.
2. Researchers must complete the Data Request form and are subject to the same cost requirements as stated above.
3. Researchers must provide verification of their approval under an Institutional Review Board (IRB).
4. The conditions in FERPA regulation 34 CFR 99.31(a) (6) are met.
5. A Data Sharing Agreement is signed to ensure compliance with FERPA regulations and DOE policies.
6. Researcher agrees to return or destroy education records at completion of research use.
7. Researcher understands associated penalties for violation of data privacy, use or re-disclosure.