Per Governor Noem’s Executive Order aimed at controlling the spread of COVID-19 in South Dakota, South Dakota Department of Education personnel are currently working remotely. If you have questions regarding educator certification please email email@example.com. For other messages, here is a link to staff email addresses. Our main phone number is 605-773-3134, and we will be checking messages periodically. Please be aware that responses may be delayed.
Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) Information for Schools
On March 24, Governor Noem asked schools to remain closed through May 1, 2020. During the closures, schools are asked to continue assisting their communities.
Examples of ways to do this include:
- Offering meals through the school lunch program.
- Making child care available to school-aged kids of healthcare workers and emergency responders. With long term closures, this may include in-person instruction for these students.
- Putting online learning into action for those with internet access.
- Getting instructional packets/materials to students who don’t have internet at home.
- Offering limited, in-person services to special education and other students as necessary.
- Continuing to pay hourly/classified staff through school closures.
If schools bring staff and students into their facilities during the closures, they should do so safely.
- Ensure staff and kids practice good hygiene.
- Clean facilities/surfaces frequently.
- Staff the schools with individuals who are not in the vulnerable population.
- Check children and staff for symptoms as they enter the building. Individuals who are sick should remain at home.
- Manage drop-off and pick-up points. Keep entry and exit to the building in a small, well-managed area.
- Keep groups small to maintain space between kids and staff.
- If a parent/guardian of a child in your direct care is positive for COVID-19 or must be quarantined because of contact with a positive case, the child should not be in the care of the school.
- SD Department of Health COVID-19 website – offers updates and most current information at the state level
- Information for School Administrators and Nurses (from SD Department of Health)
- Educator/Parent Resource: Keep Calm, Recognize, and Respond (tips for helping students of all ages cope with fear and stress related to COVID-19)
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention COVID-19 website – offers most current information at the national level
- Action Plan for Schools 3/16/2020 (from SD Department of Education)
- COVID-19 Q&A for Schools (from SD Department of Education) **Updated 3/27/2020
- Fact Sheet: Impact of COVID-19 on Assessments and Accountability
- Fact Sheet: Addressing the Risk of COVID-19 in Schools While Protecting the Civil Rights of Students
- FERPA and Virtual Learning PowerPoint **New March 31, 2020
- Guidance for Schools – Child Care for Health Care Workers
- Q&A: FERPA & Coronavirus Disease 2019
- Q&A: Providing Services to Children with Disabilities
- School food service during unexpected school closure
- Reemployment Assistance (from SD Department of Labor)
- South Dakota COVID-19 Information Line, 1-800-997-2880
- South Dakota Department of Education, (605) 773-3134