Smarter Balanced Educator Opportunities—2017
The South Dakota Department of Education is seeking qualified educators to support the following Smarter Balanced Assessment Consortium activities in 2017:
- Item Mapping and Playlist Connections
- Item Authoring for ELA and Mathematics
- Item Review for Content, Fairness, and Accessibility
- Range Finding and Data Review
- Annotating Student Work
Educators can submit applications until Feb. 17. The department will coordinate with the Smarter Balanced Assessment Consortium to confirm which educators have been selected for participation beginning in early March.
Educators applying to participate should meet the following qualifications:
Have previously reviewed part or all of South Dakota’s state standards for the content area in which they are interested in working.
For item writing, all educators must submit a statement of interest upon request that describes (a) the reason(s) for their interest in developing items for the Smarter Balanced assessment system and (b) their qualifications for doing so.
- Currently certified or licensed to teach ELA/literacy or mathematics in a K–12 public school or certified to teach English learners and/or students with disabilities; and
- Currently teaching in a public school or currently employed by a public school, district or state education entity including higher education located within a Smarter Balanced member state; and
- Within the past three years:
- Have taught ELA/literacy or mathematics in grades 3 through 8 and/or high school or have worked in a classroom content support role such as a literacy or district or state content specialist.
- Have taught students with disabilities and/or English learners in grades 3 through 8 and/or high school or have worked in a support role such as a district/school coordinator or instructional specialist. Specializations in visual impairments or teaching for students who are deaf and hard of hearing are encouraged.
Educators who have documented expertise in the areas of science and/or social science may apply for ELA/literacy item review.
Some activities will have additional preferred experience qualifications.
Contact Chris Booth with any questions by email or at (605) 773-6156.