You can check the status of your online application at Check Status. The status report confirms the receipt of documents by SDDOE, and indicates any documents that need to be submitted to complete the application.
All issued certificates have a July 1st expiration date. The year of the expiration will depend on the type of certificate that was issued (i.e. one-year, five-year, ten-year).
A renewal application may be submitted after January 1st of the year the certificate expires.
When this status is shown, all required documents have been received and your application is complete and waiting to be processed. During the summer months processing can take up to 10 weeks.
No. Applications are processed in the order they are received. Processing can take up to 10 weeks so it is important to plan ahead.
Your certificate will not lapse on July 1st if your renewal application was submitted online or postmarked prior to July 1st.
• If you are applying online you can use a credit card at the time your application is submitted. If you do not pay at this time you will not be allowed to pay using your credit card.
• Online payments cannot be made using a debit card.
• Payment may also be made by mailing a personal check or money order payable to the Department of Education and mailed to the South Dakota Department of Education, Certification Office, 800 Governors Drive, Pierre SD 57501.
(Effective July 1, 2016) Fee for a South Dakota certificate. The following are the nonrefundable fees for issuance and renewal of a South Dakota certificate:
(1) One year validity - $25;
(2) Two year validity - $33;
(3) Five year validity - $51;
(4) Ten year validity - $86;
(5) Any action requested by the holder which warrants the review of certification records or issuance of a new certificate - $33.
An applicant has 30 days from the certificate issuance date to report certification errors at no additional fee.