Principal Effectiveness Pilot Project
Updated: June 28, 2013
The 2013-14 Principal Effectiveness Pilot represents South Dakota’s efforts to implement professional standards and evaluation procedures for the state’s public school principals.
Principal Effectiveness Handbook – Draft
Student Learning Objectives
The pilot seeks to:
1. Assess the quality and relevance of a recommended set of professional practice standards that guide principal evaluation and establish a foundation for principal effectiveness ratings;
2. Assess the relevance of recommended quantitative measures of student growth, which will be used as one significant factor in determining principal effectiveness ratings;
3. Assess administrative procedures, training, and support systems associated with implementing principal evaluation systems that result in summative effectiveness ratings;
4. Identify best practices, challenges and opportunities associated with implementing principal evaluation systems; and
5. Inform any necessary changes to the model principal evaluation system, which will be an option for districts to use as state and federal principal evaluation requirements take effect in the 2014-15 school year.
Carla Leingang, Department of Education, at 605-773-4638