South Dakota CTE Fellows
The work and technology in today’s business is diverse and rapidly evolving. To develop relevant skills and knowledge in students, educators have to stay connected to what’s happening in industry. The South Dakota CTE Fellows program offers Career & Technical Education teachers in rural areas of the state the opportunity to experience first-hand today’s business environment. Through the CTE Fellows Program, teachers spend six to eight weeks with a South Dakota company where they work closely with an experienced mentor to complete a real-world project. CTE Fellows gain skills, share experiences, and develop tailored CTE curriculum to engage their students in classroom experiences that resemble their professional equivalents.
Teachers are eligible to apply for the South Dakota CTE Fellows Program if they meet the following requirements:
- Teach full-time within a 7-12 approved CTE program within a rural school district in the State of South Dakota
- Be contracted to teach full-time during the following school year within an approved CTE programs
- Completed at least two years of full-time teaching by June of the current school year
- Committed to continuing to teach for at least the next three years
- Able to work full-time during standard business hours in a non-teaching job during Summer 2017 for the CTE Fellows Program period
- Have a legal right and necessary documents to work in the US in a non-teaching job
Requirements for Completion
In order for the CTE Fellows Program to be considered complete, participants are required to:
- Complete a six to eight-week work experience, 8-hours per day, 40-hours per week during standard business hours between June 5, 2017 and August 31, 2017, during a timeframe agreed upon with the host employer
- Complete a CTE Fellows project as assigned by the host employer
- Design and implement a classroom transfer plan for applying the summer experience during the following school year (earning a passing score on the classroom transfer plan rubric is required for the participant to be awarded additional funding for implementing the classroom transfer plan)
- Attend meetings with an assigned mentor teacher to support the classroom transfer plan
- Complete a survey at the end of the summer and a classroom impact report after implementing the classroom transfer plan.
- Forgo soliciting or accepting employment from their host employer
- Return to teaching the following school year
Participants in the CTE Fellows program are required to attend a one-day orientation session prior to beginning their work experience and to complete a six to eight-week work experience (work 8 hours per day, 40 hours per week during standard business hours). Participants are also expected to implement a classroom transfer plan and complete a classroom impact report during the following school year.
Participants who successfully complete the CTE Fellows Program will receive up to a $7,000 stipend depending upon the length of the summer work experience and are eligible for a housing reimbursement of up to $2,000.
Participants may also apply for an additional $2,000 grant to implement their classroom transfer plans after completing their work experience.
Continuing education contact hours or university credit will be available for CTE Fellows Program participants. Participants are responsible for the cost of the university credit.
School District Requirements
The participant’s school district will be responsible for serving as the fiscal agent for the summer program. Additionally, the school district must agree to support the participant in the implementation of their classroom transfer plan.
The participant’s direct supervisor must also submit a letter of support agreeing to a teacher’s participation in the program during the application process.
|March 3, 2017
|March 13, 2017
||CTE Fellows Announced
||CTE Fellows Paired with Host Employer
|May 24, 2017
||CTE Fellows Orientation Meeting
|June 5-August 31, 2017
||CTE Fellows Complete Work Experience
|September 2017-May 2018
||CTE Fellows Implement Classroom Transfer Plan
To submit an application for the CTE Fellows Program, applicants must submit a Program Application Form by March 3, 2017.
Applications will be reviewed and selected participants will be announced March 13, 2017.
Office hours with the SD Department of Education will be available to interested applicants on the dates and times listed below. Applicants are welcome to connect at any time during the open office hours to ask questions about the CTE Fellows Program.
Thursday, February 16, 2017 from 3:30pm-5:00pm Central
Wednesday, February 22, 2017 from 3:30pm-5:00pm Central
Tuesday, February 28, 2017 from 7:30am-9:00am Central
Connect via Skype: https://meet.lync.com/stateofsouthdakota/erin.larsen/QL0D6W1D
Or Call: 1.866.310.8397, Conference Code: 6057732533
For more information, contact Erin Larsen the Department of Education's Division of Career and Technical Education at (605) 773-2533.