Special Education Advisory Panel
Advisory Panel Functions:
1. Advise the SEA of unmet needs within the State in the education of children with disabilities.
2. Comment publicly on any rules or regulations proposed by the State regarding the education of children with disabilities.
3. Advise the SEA in developing evaluations and reporting on data to the Secretary under section 618 of the Act.
4. Advise the SEA in developing corrective action plans to address findings identified in Federal monitoring reports under Part B of the Act.
5. Advise the SEA in developing and implementing policies relating to the coordination of services for children with disabilities.
6. Review and comment on final due process hearing findings and decisions.
7. Advising on eligible students with disabilities in adult prisons. The advisory panel also shall advise on the education of eligible students with disabilities who have been convicted as adults and incarcerated in adult prisons.
Notice is further given to individuals with disabilities that this meeting is being held in a physically accessible place. Accessible parking is also available. Please notify the Department of Education, Office of Educational Services & Support within two weeks of the meeting if you have special needs for which this agency will need to make arrangements. Call about requests for alternative formats and/or interpreters: Disk, Braille, Large Print, Interpreter, or Other (please specify). Also, note if you need any special medical or dietary needs.
If you have questions, please contact the Merle Doolittle at the South Dakota Department of Education at 605-773-3678.