Apply now for grants to fund community learning centers
Organizations may apply for 21st Century Community Learning Center grants to establish or expand community learning centers. These centers provide students with academic enrichment opportunities outside of regular school time. The activities are designed to complement the students’ academic program.
A total of nine applicants could receive $50,000 to $100,000 grants per year for five years. Grant recipients must:
• Provide academic enrichment activities to help students meet state and local standards in core subjects, especially reading and mathematics.
• Provide a safe environment for students when school is not in session.
• Offer families of these students, literacy and related educational development.
• Be located in public schools or other similarly accessible facilities.
• Serve students from schools with 40 percent of families receiving free or reduced price meals.
• Offer opportunities in areas such as community service, music, arts, cultural activities and/or physical activities.
The deadline to apply is Feb. 17, 2006. For more information, contact Sue Burgard at the South Dakota Department of Education, (605) 773-5238 or email@example.com.