Alternate Assessment of South Dakota Content Standards is available to students who are identified per the Alternate Assessment Participation Guidelines. Individual Education Plan (IEP) teams determine if a student meets all three of the following participation criteria:
- Student has a significant cognitive disability
- Student requires extensive instruction and support to acquire and maintain skills
- Student is learning through alternate academic achievement standards (AAAS)/Core Content Connectors (CCCs)
The following documents provide guidance for Individual Education Plan (IEP) teams on identifying participation on the Alternate Assessment of South Dakota Content Standards:
The Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA) limits the number of students who may take an alternate assessment to no more than 1% of the total number of students in the state who are assessed in a subject. ESSA requires districts to submit justification for 1% overage.
Core Content Connectors (CCCs) are Alternate Academic Achievement Standards (AAAS) used for students with significant cognitive disabilities who participate in the alternate assessment. CCCs guide the development of appropriate academic goals and short-term objectives that allow students the maximum engagement with the general curriculum and non-disabled peers as possible, with appropriate adaptations, simplifications, and modifications to grade-level materials and content.
The following are CCCs/AAAS aligned to South Dakota Content Standards:
The following are comprehensive lists of CCCs/AAAS:
The Multi-State Alternate Assessment (MSAA) is available for students who are identified per the Alternate Assessment Participation Guidelines.
Students in grades 3-8 and 11 are tested in the Core Content Connectors (CCCs) aligned to South Dakota English Language Arts Standards and South Dakota Math Standards.
- MSAA Sample Items
- MSAA Testing System
- MSAA Information Site
- MSAA Grades 3-11 ELA Performance Level Descriptors
- MSAA Grades 3-11 ELA Performance Level Descriptors - Spanish
- MSAA Grades 3-11 Math Performance Level Descriptors
- MSAA Grades 3-11 Math Performance Level Descriptors - Spanish
- Test Administrator User Guide
- Test Coordinator User Guide
- Test Administration Manual
- MSAA Parent Letter
- TC Observation Checklist
The SD Science Assessment - Alternate (SDSA-Alt) is available for students who are identified per the Alternate Assessment Participation Guidelines.
Students in grades 5, 8, and 11 are tested in the Core Content Connectors (CCCs) aligned to South Dakota Science Standards. The test items cover grade spans from grades 3-5, 6-8, and high school.
- 2021-22 SD Math & ELA Alternate Assessment Technical Report coming soon
- 2021-22 SD Science Alternate Assessment Technical Report
Contact the South Dakota Department of Education at (605) 773-3678 with questions.