Parents/guardians who currently provide alternative instruction pursuant to SDCL 13-27-3 are required to file a Notice for Public School Exemption Certificate annually. This Home School link references SD Codified Law and responsibilities for Parents, Schools Districts, and Department of Education.
South Dakota students who receive alternative instruction are required to take a nationally standardized achievement test in Mathematic and Reading at grades, 4, 8 and 11(grade 2 no longer required). SD DOE provides a standardized test free of charge for home school students in grades 4, 8 and 11. The public school district is required to notify all home school settings within their district boundaries, about the testing requirement. The parent/guardian must pick up the test from the district – tests are never mailed out. If parents/guardians use a different test than the one provided by the state, it must be a nationally standardized achievement test. These different tests will be at the expense of the parent/guardian and results need to be shared with the school district.
Due to COVID-19, the Home School testing window for the State-provided SAT 10 has been extended to May 1, 2020. Forms must be mailed by May 15, 2020 to be scored.
Please use the Spring 2020 Homeschool Order From using this link. Download the form and follow the instructions. When emailing it, please put “South Dakota” and the district name in the subject line.
As in the last few years, there is no cost for shipping the materials to districts, but the district will pay for shipping completed documents after testing.
Window for SAT10 home school testing: March 23-April 17, 2020
- Form D that was used in previous years has been retired. All test booklets and answer sheets should be securely destroyed. Directions for Administration can be used with updated form, Form A. Form A test booklets can be reused in the future as long as they have not been marked.
- Make sure enough materials are on hand to accommodate all students in grades 4, 8 and 11 that are being home schooled in your district.
- Recommended window to order testing materials is February 17-March 9, 2020
- Completed test materials must be mailed by May 1, 2020
- Tests returned to districts after the return date will not be eligible to be scored.
- Contact parents with information on testing window and when you will distribute materials
- Parents must sign the Security Agreement from this link when they pick up testing materials.
- When results are available online, distribute to home school parents and keep a copy on file with other public school exemption resources.
- Only Math, Reading, Language, and Spelling subtests should be completed
Contact Chris Booth at the Department of Education, (605) 773-6156 for additional information.