Home School Assessments
Parents/guardians who currently provide alternative instruction pursuant to SDCL 13-27-3 are required to file a Notice for Public School Exemption Certificate annually. This Home School link references SD Codified Law and responsibilities for Parents, Schools Districts, and Department of Education.
South Dakota students who receive alternative instruction are required to take a nationally standardized achievement test in Mathematic and Reading at grades, 4, 8 and 11(grade 2 no longer required). SD DOE provides a standardized test free of charge for home school students in grades 4, 8 and 11. The public school district is required to notify all home school settings within their district boundaries, about the testing requirement. The parent/guardian must pick up the test from the district – tests are never mailed out. If parents/guardians use a different test than the one provided by the state, it must be a nationally standardized achievement test. These different tests will be at the expense of the parent/guardian and results need to be shared with the school district.
- Let the school district know before February 12,
- Pick up the assessment in person, and sign the “Parent Test Security Agreement” found in the Documents section below. Testing materials will not be mailed to anyone.
- Make sure the Math, Reading, Language, and Spelling subtests are completed and everything returned to the school district so it can be sent away for scoring by April 23, 2021.
- Your local district will send the results when they are available. SD DOE does not keep the results on file.
- The test must be a nationally standardized achievement test.
- Results must be included when you submit your next waiver for home schooling to your local district.
- These materials can be reused each year provided they have not been marked:
- Directions for Test Administration
- Form A Test Booklets
- Unused Form A answer sheets
- Contact parents with information on state-provided SAT 10 testing window and ask if they plan to use this test.
- Make sure you have enough materials on hand for all home school students in grades 4, 8, and 11 in your district. (With testing waived in Spring 2020, you will probably have enough on hand already).
- Additional testing materials should be ordered February 15-March 8, 2021.
- Parents must pick up the state-provided test in person and sign the Parent Test Security Agreement found in the Documents section below. Testing materials cannot be mailed to anyone.
- Only Math, Reading, Language, and Spelling subtests should be completed.
- All testing materials need to be returned to the school district a week after testing ends, April 23, 2021.
- Contact Chris Booth at SD DOE to receive a packing slip and invoice for scoring to send in with answer documents to Pearson.
- Deadline to send in answer documents for scoring is May 1, 2021.
- Materials sent after this date may not be scored.
Contact Chris Booth at the Department of Education, (605) 773-6156 for additional information.