Food Distribution Program
The Food Distribution Program (FDP) for child nutrition programs provides entitlement and bonus USDA Foods to local agencies. Each agency’s allocation is based on the average daily participation and a per meal entitlement set for each program.
Over 4 million pounds of USDA donated products (commodities) valued at over $2 million are distributed in SD schools annually. In addition, over 720,000 pounds of fresh fruits and vegetables are distributed. The money to support this comes from a portion of USDA food entitlement. These are available to both public and non-public school food authorities participating in the National School Lunch Program. Summer Food Service organizations receive a very small commodity entitlement.
Upon receipt of your USDA Foods:
- Count each and every commodity received!
- Verify that the amounts received match the bill of lading.
- Accept only commodities listed. Do not accept substitutions or overages. You are not required to keep something you did not order. Do not accept damaged product.
- Visually Check for signs of damage.
- Note & Initial shortages on bill of lading
- Both you AND the driver must sign two copies of the bill of lading.
- Submit an O,S & D report , within 5 days of receipt, on the iCAN website, for deliveries with discrepancies.
Numbered policy/instruction memos:
USDA releases numbered policy memos which govern the programs in addition to the laws, regulations, and guidance manuals. The legislation, regulations and policy memos can be found under its respective program on the USDA website. South Dakota no longer releases the numbered memos separately. Announcements are provided through email, bulletins, and newsletters with reference to the appropriate USDA website.
- New iCAN User Form
- USDA Food Available List SY17-18
- USDA Food Available List SY18-19
- SY 16-17 Annual Survey Direct Delivery (brown box) Example
- SY 16-17 DoD Survey Example
- Preference Survey – FFAVORS Transfer Request
- USDA Foods Available List for School Year 2018 for Schools and Institutions
- USDA Foods Available List for School Year 2019 for Schools and Institutions
- Food Recall Subscription List
- Fresh Fruits and Vegetables Order Receipt System (FFAVORS)
- USDA Food and Nutrition Service
- Processor Link
- K12 Food Service
- Jenni-O Processing Specification Sheet
- SD Processing Specification Sheets
- Tyson Product Specification Sheet
- USDA Foods Recall Guidance
- USDA Foods informational sheets
Bulk Processing is a way for a school to use A/B entitlement for processed foods.
This process allows schools to use all or a portion of the USDA entitlement through processed foods. Processing might be cutting it up or canning it, or making it into something like meat patties.
The school needs to bid for the processed items they would like to purchase through a distributor. Consult with your school's business manager or superintendent to determine if you will need to do an informal or formal bidding process.South Dakota Procured Product
< Net Off Invoicing Documents:
Contact the Child and Adult Nutrition Services office at (605) 773-3413 for more information.