Strengthening Civics & History in South Dakota
K-12 Education: Pilot grants
Grants for public schools to pilot programs that focus on strengthening civics/government and history education are now available. Grant requests should demonstrate alignment to state standards in these areas. A total of $200,000 is available for distribution. Completed applications should be submitted to the Department of Education by May 3, 2021. Grantees will be notified in late June.
Applications should align with one or more of the following priorities of the broader history and civics initiative:
- Support and increase the capacity of K-12 educators, including at the elementary school level
- Provide high-quality, standards-aligned resources for voluntary use in local schools
- Provide real-life experiences for students
- Foster students who appreciate our country, state and story
- Increase students' knowledge and experience so they can engage as informed citizens
- Grow students' ability to participate in civil discourse on important issues
Any South Dakota public school is eligible to apply.
The start date for awarded grants is July 1, 2021. The end date is June 30, 2023.
Submission of Application
The first round of applications has passed. The Department of Education will have a second round of applications available in early August for a planned award date of October 1, 2021.
For more information about the South Dakota Civics and History initiative, contact the Department of Education at (605) 773-3134.