Re-imagining Remote Education in South Dakota:
The ESF-REM Project
The U.S. Department of Education has awarded the South Dakota Department of Education a Rethink K-12 Education Models Grant in the amount of $6,883,481 to support the state’s efforts to better serve students during the COVID-19 pandemic and beyond. This three-year grant project aims to provide a comprehensive road map to successful learning so that students can learn at school, at home, or with blended learning approaches. It will also seek to empower parents and families in navigating these options. Grant funds will be used to help a group of 30 schools pursue new course options in personalized, competency-based education and provide coursework and professional development for more than 1,600 South Dakota teachers, principals, and pre-service teachers. One educator in each school district in SD will also be able to earn a certificate in effective online teaching and will be a resource for his or her district.
Partners include South Dakota State University, the South Dakota Statewide Family Engagement Center, and Technology and Innovation in Education.
- Approved Grant Application
- SD Rethinking K-12 Education Models (REM) Grant
- Provides an overview of the grant project objectives and activities and information on project applications.
- Information and Application for the Teaching Online Certificate by Quality Matters
- For educators interested in applying to complete the coursework to earn the Teaching Online Certificate offered by Quality Matters on their Canvas learning platform. Registration is continuous for the 23 cohorts that will run in 2021. The sessions starting at the end of April, in May and in the summer months are now filling. Please apply today if you are interested in Session 10 (May 12 to May 26, 21), Session 11 (May 26 to August 11, 21), Session 12 (June 9 to August 25, 21) and sessions starting later in the summer. Applications for the 2022 cohorts will be available in the fall.
- Information and Application for Professional Development
- Throughout the next three years, 1,600 South Dakota educators will be invited to apply for the opportunity to earn nine graduate credit by completing a series of online courses to increase their capacity in competency based, knowledge-rich, and whole child approaches to instruction to support a continuum of learning. Continuing education credits will be available. All costs for courses, texts, and credits are covered by grant.
- Information and Application for 30-school Colloquium Another round of applications will be accepted later this year for a second cohort of schools to start in 2022.
- Over the next three years, 30 school leadership teams will participate in a series of colloquia that will explore and pilot competency-based education, knowledge rich curriculum, and whole child approaches to instruction to support a continuum of learning. Graduate credit and a certificate will be available. All texts, resources and travel expenses are covered by the grant.
Quality Matters Membership for All SD School Districts
- As part of the Reimaging Education Models (REM) grant, all schools districts in SD will receive a free membership to Quality Matters until December of 2023. This membership gives districts access to all the services that Quality Matters provides. Please see the flyer by clicking on the link above. If your district is interested in taking advantage of the benefits and services of Quality Matters, please contact Stephanie Hansen at 605-295-2507 to sign up and provide your designated point of contact. Each district will be invited to a webinar that will explain the services available will be held later this spring.