Davis-Bahcall Scholar Program
Up to eight students will be chosen to participate in this all-expense-paid summer-study program. Two or three of the students enrolled at South Dakota universities will be designated South Dakota Space Grant Consortium Davis-Bahcall Scholars.
Join a two-week, fully supported summer program in the Black Hills that allows you to explore the world of modern scientific research. The Davis-Bahcall Scholars Program is open to South Dakota high school seniors and first-year undergraduates who have an interest in STEM fields.
Program Dates: July 3 – 18, 2021
To apply for the Davis-Bahcall Scholar Program, candidates must submit:
- Program application form (Application Deadline: Jan. 29, 2021)
- Official high school and college transcripts, including standardized test scores when possible
- 500- to 700-word essay that conveys your interest, qualifications, how you would benefit from the program, and how you would contribute to the program
- Letter of recommendation from a current science teacher
- Resume detailing academic achievement and extracurricular activities
Finalists will participate in a virtual interview.
- The interview panel will include three to five people
- Davis-Bahcall Scholars will be chosen before the end of March
Submit application materials to:
Deb Wolf, Sanford Underground Research Facility
630 E. Summit St., Lead, SD 57754
Applications may also be submitted electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Be age 18 or older at time of travel
- Be a high school senior or college freshman at time of application
- Attend a South Dakota public, private or home school or postsecondary institution or have graduated from a South Dakota high school
- Have a demonstrated interest in science, with the intent of pursuing an advanced degree in a math, science, engineering or technology field
- Students may only participate in the program once
Questions may be directed to Deb Wolf, Director of Sanford Lab Education & Outreach.