Richard Hagen-Minerva Harvey Scholarship
Application Deadline: Application deadline has passed.
The Richard Hagen Minerva Harvey Memorial state scholarship program is for enrolled members of American Indian tribes. Once approved, recipients will be authorized to receive up to four years of funding, depending on year of attendance.
Funds are to be used for students attending a public or non-public accredited university, college or technical institute located in South Dakota.
The Hagen Harvey Scholarship Board will determine the number of scholarships to be awarded.
Annual scholarship award amounts include a minimum of $1,000 for each of the first two years of attendance, a minimum of $1,500 for the third year of attendance, and a minimum of $2,500 for the fourth year of attendance.
Scholarship recipients must be enrolled the equivalent of at least 12 credit hours per semester and maintain a cumulative 2.5 grade point average during the course of the scholarship period.
- Graduation from an accredited South Dakota high school
- Apply within 5 years after high school graduation or within 1 year after release from active military duty (if that release is within 5 years of high school graduation)
- Be an enrolled member of an American Indian tribe
- Must attend a public or non-public accredited university, college or technical institute located in South Dakota
- A completed Hagen-Harvey application form
- An official current high school transcript
- An official current college/postsecondary transcript for any college/postsecondary study previously undertaken
- Two letters of recommendation
- Verification of tribal enrollment
- Essay - Why do you deserve to receive a Hagen-Harvey Memorial Scholarship
- Extracurricular Activities
- Community Service
- Personal Statement
- ACT, SAT & other test scores (if available)
Submit application to:
South Dakota Department of Education
Office of Finance and Management
ATTN: Mark Gageby
800 Governors Drive
Pierre, SD 57501
- Hunter Bailey, Bridgewater Nicholas Curd, Lake Preston William Kuhl, Buffalo Gap Chye Livermont, Interior Dylan Marshall, White River Cheyenne Miller, Harrisburg Kelsey Morrison, White River
- Lorenzo Bettelyoun, Chairman, Rapid City, Oglala Sioux Tribe
- Daryl Russell, Lead, Lower Brule Sioux Tribe
- Amy Boutchee, Pierre, Cheyenne River Sioux Tribe
- Valentina Merdanian, Oglala, Oglala Sioux Tribe
- Dr. Sherry Johnson, Sisseton, Sisseston Wahpeton Oyate
Contact Mark Gageby at 605-773-3727 with questions regarding the Hagen-Harvey Scholarship.