Application Deadline: (Jan. 31, 2015)
Davis Bahcall Application
Past Davis Bahcall Participants
Do you find the concepts of dark matter and energy fascinating? Do you have a passion for science and a desire to pursue a career in Science, Technology, Engineering, or Math (STEM)? Are you looking to jumpstart a future research career? Will you be a freshman or sophomore in a South Dakota University or have a home address in South Dakota in the Fall of 2015? Then you could be a 2015 Davis-Bahcall Scholar!
Fifty years ago, Professors Ray Davis and John Bahcall proposed an experiment to confirm the nuclear processes taking place at the core of the sun by measuring a tiny particle called a neutrino in a large tank of dry cleaning fluid a mile underground. This experiment - which took place at the Homestake Gold Mine in Lead, SD – changed our understanding of particle physics, and led to a Nobel Prize in physics for chemist Ray Davis. Today underground laboratories across the world are continuing the work started by these two seminal scientists.
Up to 12 students will be chosen to participate in this all-expense paid summer-study program. Two or three of the students enrolled at South Dakota universities will be designated South Dakota Space Grant Consortium Davis-Bahcall Scholars.
Davis-Bahcall Scholars will have the chance to spend four to five weeks of their summer exploring the world of modern scientific research at some of the nation’s leading laboratories and universities. They will spend two weeks at the Sanford Underground Research Facility, and travel to research laboratories at home and possibly in Italy.
Coursework will cover physics, plus a variety of other science and engineering topics. Participants will have the opportunity to interact and learn from distinguished professors from all over the world. College credit will be offered.
Tentative dates for the 2015 program are June 7 – July 13, 2015
- Be age 18 or older at time of travel
- Be a high school senior or college freshmen at time of application
- Attend a South Dakota public, private or home school or postsecondary institution
or have graduated from a South Dakota high school
- Have a demonstrated interest in science with the intent of pursuing an advanced degree in a math, science, engineering or technology field
- Students may only participate in the five-week scholarship program once
On a case-by-case basis, Davis-Bahcall Scholarship recipients will have the opportunity to apply for a five-week paid summer internship near your home beginning in mid-May and running through August. All internships offered through the program grant the student a leave of absence to participate in the Davis-Bahcall summer study program. Internships may be offered by private business, state government, universities or national laboratories. An internship is not required or guaranteed as part of the Davis-Bahcall program.
To apply for the Davis-Bahcall Scholarship, candidates must submit by January 16, 2015:
- Scholarship application form
- Official high school and college transcripts, including standardized test scores when possible
- 500- to 700-word essay that conveys your interest, qualifications and the benefit to us and to you if we choose you for the program.
- Letter of support from a current science teacher
- Resume detailing academic achievement and extra-curricular activities
Finalists will participate in a 15 minute interview.
- Interviews will place in February at convenient locations throughout the state
- Interview panel to include three to five people
- Davis-Bahcall Scholars will be chosen by mid-March
Submit application materials to:
Peggy Norris - firstname.lastname@example.org
Dep. Director of Education and Outreach
Sanford Underground Research Facility/BHSU
630 E. Summit St.
Lead, SD 57754