Summer Food Service Program
The Summer Food Service Program provides meals to children in low-income areas when school is not in session. Throughout South Dakota, sponsors such as schools, private non-profit organization, and government entities participate in providing meals during school vacations.
To participate in the program, a sponsor must first determine if it serves a low-income area. The sponsor may have an area with 50 percent of the area's population qualified for free or reduced priced meals, which allows all children age 18 and under to eat meals for free. If a select group of low-income children participate in a program that is not in a low-income area, each child will qualify and if over 50 percent of those in the program qualify for free or reduced priced meals each month, all the children 18 years of age and under in attendance at the site may receive free meals. Camps are an exception; both residential and non-residential camps must collect and maintain income eligibility forms. Camps are reimbursed only for those enrolled children who meet the free and/or reduced price eligibility standards.
The new 2022 SFSP flyer is available. Please use this to promote your summer program in your community.
The 2023 Summer Food Service Program (SFSP) Administrative Training registration is now open! Please register by February 24, 2023.
Option 1: SFSP Experienced Sponsor Training
- When: Tuesday, March 7, 2023 from 1-5 p.m. CST
- Where: Hybrid; In-person: DOE MacKay Building (Pierre, SD) and online
- Audience: This training is for Sponsor who successfully operated the SFSP last year without any significant issues
- Registration Link: https://forms.office.com/g/8m7GUbTDwi
Option 2: SFSP New Sponsor Training
- When: Tuesday, March 14, 2023 from 1-5 p.m. CST
- Where: In-person; DOE MacKay Building (Pierre, SD)
- Audience: This training is for NEW Sponsors or Sponsors who had operational issues last year
- Registration Link: https://forms.office.com/g/Vx1u6Np4hC
Claims for the Summer Food Service Program (SFSP) are being completed through the iCAN system. Log into the iCAN system found at https://ican.sd.gov/ican/splash.aspx. If you have any issues, contact the CANS office at (605) 773-3413 and your call will be directed to someone that can help you. Please see the current Summer Food Service Program reimbursement rates under the Documents tab.
Applications for the Summer Food Service Program (SFSP) are now completed through the web-based system, iCAN. To receive more information on SFSP participation, please contact Child and Adult Nutrition Services (CANS) at (605) 773-3413.
The iCAN Website is found at https://ican.sd.gov/ican/Splash.aspx.
If you have an existing sponsor in iCAN, but need to receive access to the system, please complete the iCAN User ID Request form and email to DOE.SchoolLunch@state.sd.us. A separate form must be completed by each individual that needs access to iCAN for application and/or claims. User IDs and passwords are specific to each individual and must not be shared with others.
- Cooking Temperature Chart
- Farm to Summer Decision Tree Chart
- FNS Instruction 113-1 Civil Rights - Nutrition Programs and Activities
- Food Buying Guide
- Food Safety for Summer Meals
- Multiple Languages
- SFSP Area Eligibility Mapper
- SFSP Financial Management FNS 796-4, Rev 4 Allowable Costs
- SFSP Regulations Part 225
- SFSP sample menus
- SFSP vs SSO
- SFSP USDA Handbooks
- Summer Food — USDA
- Summer Meals Toolkit
- Team Nutrition
- USDA Memorandums
- USDA SFSP Training Videos