Building on previous work, South Dakota's Commission on Teaching and Learning has developed principal standards and a model system for evaluating principals. In August 2017, the Board of Education passed revised rules to focus on Professional Practices.
- Principal Effectiveness Rules and Statutes
- Requirements Checklist
- SD Framework for Effective Principal
|Overview PowerPoints and Guides|
|Domain 1: Vision and Mission||Powerpoint||Domain 1 Discussion Guide|
|Domain 2: Instructional Leadership||Powerpoint||Domain 2 Discussion Guide|
|Domain 3: School Operations and Resources||PowerPoint||Domain 3 Discussion Guide|
|Domain 4: School, Student, and Staff Safety||PowerPoint||Domain 4 Discussion Guide|
|Domain 5-6: School and Community Relationships; Ethical and Cultural Leadership||PowerPoint||Domain 5 Discussion Guide
Domain 6 Discussion Guide
- Professional Practice Rubrics
- Principal Evaluation Rating Spreadsheet
- Recommended Model
- Minimum Requirements vs. Model Recommendations
- Recommended Model Checklist
- Principal to Teacher Comparison
- Updated Principal Effectiveness Handbook
- SLO Handbook
- SLOs: Frequently Asked Questions
- Principal Effectiveness to Turn Around Principles Comparison
- Turnaround Principles to Teacher and Principal Effectiveness Comparison
Districts may choose to use their own systems of principal evaluation aligned to the state model. Through a crosswalk process, districts must demonstrate that their system aligns to the South Dakota Framework for Effective Principals.
The deadline to apply is Jan. 31 before the school year in which the district intends to implement the alternative system. Download the application and crosswalk.