South Dakota's Commission on Teaching and Learning has developed a model system for teacher evaluation that includes a focus on professional practices and a focus on student growth as measured by student learning objectives, or SLOs. The resources at the bottom provide an overview of that recommended system.
- Teacher Effectiveness Flowchart
- Frontline Education
- District Self-Assessment Tool
- Summative Evaluation Form
- Teacher Evaluation Rating Spreadsheet
- Special Education Teacher Effectiveness Presentation
- Teacher Effectiveness Handbook Updates Coming Winter 2024
- Minimum Requirements vs. Model Recommendations
- Professional Practice Rubrics
- Teacher to Principal Comparison
- Professional Growth Plan
- Professional Practice Goal-Setting Form
- Formal Observation Process Guide
- Professional Practice Rating Form
Districts may choose to use their own systems of teacher evaluation aligned to the state model. Through a crosswalk process, districts must demonstrate that their system aligns to the South Dakota Framework for Effective Teachers.
The deadline to apply is Jan. 31 before the school year in which the district intends to implement the alternative system. Download the application and crosswalk.